Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 22- The Dump

Yes, the dump. Also known as Miramar Landfill. My friend & former co-worker Chuck Stanley had told me there are fantastic California burritos to be had at the roach coach here, so I had to give it a shot.

It's kind of weird taking a sub-compact car down a dirt road mostly traversed by 18-wheelers and garbage trucks, driving that car onto a scale meant to weigh those trucks, and asking the attendant "Can a brother get some..." I mean, "Is there a food truck or something in there where I can get a burrito?" Reacting as if this sort of thing happens all the time, she didn't even give me a second look as she said "Yeah, right around the corner."Chuck was right, this Cali burrito is effing fantastic. Served in minutes, monster-sized, and $6; it's definitely a great one. In fact, it might even be the reigning champ if the flour tortilla hadn't been so flimsy and basically fallen apart on me. Shit's gotta stay rolled tight. If you're ever near the Miramar landfill, take a quick side trip to grab one of these, you won't be disappointed.

I'm starting to notice that the ambience of the establishment is definitely a factor in the quality of the burrito. If the place is too clean, or too sit-down style family-restaurant, the burrito is usually subpar. On the other hand if the place looks dangerous, to the point that it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that you got stabbed, you're in for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment