Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 12- Lolita's

Damn, last night was rough. As I was going to bed around 12:30, I was drifting off to sleep when I was literally awakened by the sensation of being just about to puke. Yeah. I almost puked in bed. 7 hours after I ate that fucking burrito.

I feel like I'm on the verge of puking about 30% of my waking hours. But I'm starting to think it's psychosomatic. I mean, one burrito a day isn't that bad, is it? It's not like I'm Morgan Spurlock over here. I think I figured it out, too: I rarely eat beef. Chicken and fish, all the time. But the only time I'll eat red meat is the occasional burger. So maybe 12 days straight of carne asada is taking it's toll, and my stomach is all "Hey, asshole! Slow the fuck down!"

Which I guess brings us to today. I checked all the recommended shops on Google maps, and Lolita's (thanks, Kim Thompson) was on the way home. They make a damn big California burrito compared to some of the other shops. And they were fast too. I'm starting to notice that the places that serve the fastest tend to be better. But I have to admit, I was disappointed that they served it to me in a styrofoam container. That shit needs to be wrapped in paper! I can move past that though. Presentation isn't the most important thing here.

The carne asada was delicious, they used real fries (which were crisp! a huge plus) that were packed so tight in there they were poking through, and had just the right amount of cheese and sour cream. It was a really good burrito. Really good. But not great, for 2 reasons. First, it wasn't wrapped very tightly. And that actually matters for a good burrito. But the more important shortcoming was the same problem Rudy's had yesterday- segregated ingredients; you might take a bite that's all fries. I think the problem here was the burrito was just too big. Bigger isn't always better. Remember Anthony Michael Hall and that other kid, when they were creating their dream girl in Weird Science? They almost gave her a huge rack, but opted not to. "You make 'em too big and you risk spraining your tongue." Wise beyond their years, those two.

So yeah, I definitely recommend Lolita's. Really good burrito, but not the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment